East Hampton Airport, Wainscott
       1937 –

Built as a WPA project in the 1930’s, Easthampton is a small general aviation airport in the Long Island pine barrens. It has grown at a leisurely rate since it’s founding. Originally with three dirt/gravel runways 2500 feet long, it now features three paved runways of up to 4000 feet. After limited use as an emergency strip during World War Two, the field was abandoned. In late 1946 the field was re-opened and operated by Charlotte Niles and Margaret Lowell-Wallace, two former WASP’s. With four aircraft and a converted World War Two barracks as a terminal, the two built up a creditable business of flight instruction and sightseeing rides through the 1950’s. Now with a beautiful new terminal, and with both scheduled and charter flights, Easthampton has 40,000 aircraft movements per year, mostly corporate, charter and personal flights during the summer months when Long Island’s “Hamptons” are most active.