built in 1944 as an emergency landing strip and support facility for east
coast military aircraft, the 365 acre field was first known as “Mastic
Flight Strip”. It featured a 4200 foot long concrete runway, with a second
similar one added in 1963. The Town of Brookhaven has operated the airport
since 1947 and obtained ownership in 1961. Construction in the 1960’s and
70’s has steadily added numerous hangars, shops, fixed base operators and
a small terminal. Today about 200 general aviation aircraft are based here.